Monday, December 27, 2010

Shrimp & Grits with Creamy Corn Sauce

So I'm a little embarrassed to admit that up until I had met my husband, I had never in my life tried grits of any form, flavor or style. My husband made them for me for breakfast one morning while we were dating and I loved them!! Then I moved to Tennessee and realized that grits are a staple here that everybody eats and loves. There is even an entire section dedicated to grits in the grocery store - it's a serious thing, folks. My parents came to visit a few months ago and we all went down to the Smoky Mountain National Park and ate at a little restaurant called "Miss Lily's Cafe," where I was first introduced to the classic dish: Shrimp and Grits. Let's just say I fell in love. The grits were so soft and smooth and were dotted with a few jumbo-sized shrimp smothered in a creamy, cheesy corn sauce. Needless to say, the cravings for my new-found love came within a few short weeks after leaving the Smokies and I was determined to find a way to duplicate the recipe. Although it's not exactly the same, it is pretty darn good and tastes incredible on a cold night. If you're like me and have a very limited experience with grits, let this be your first dish to try. I guarantee it will become a staple in your pantry just like it is in mine. Enjoy! (Picture courtesy of Gluten-Free Food Recipes)

Ingredients:
  • 2 servings grits, cooked according to package directions (I cook mine with chicken broth instead of water to give it more flavor)
  • 2 1/2 lbs. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2/3 c. heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 c. canned corn
  • one pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Dash of hot pepper sauce

While grits are cooking, heat heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper together in a medium-sized skillet of medium-high heat. When cream begins to boil, add in the corn, red pepper flakes, worcestershire sauce, cheese and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cheese is melted and sauce ingredients are combined. Add in shrimp and cook until pink and firm. Serve grits in a bowl and pour cream sauce over top.

Tip: If shrimp are already cooked, add them into the sauce at the very end for about a minute, or until they are heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment