Chicken Cordon Bleu:
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise to form two thinner chicken breast cutlets
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or 1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer each chicken breast with 2 slices of ham and two slices of cheese. In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs and the melted butter and sprinkle over the top of the chicken. Bake the chicken for 30 -35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and bread crumbs are golden.
While the chicken bakes, in a medium sauce pan melt the butter. Add in the flour, stirring constantly, for about 1-2 minutes until it forms a roux. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring. Add in the salt and chicken bouillon cube. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken, about 3 - 5 minutes. Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened, remove from heat and add in the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Keep warm until chicken is finished baking. Serve over warm chicken immediately.
Note: If sauce is too thick, stir in more milk until it is at your desired consistency.