Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lemon Chicken Tetrazzini

First of all, let me apologize for basically falling off the earth the past couple of months. Tax season is finally over and I now have a life outside of the office again. I am also ashamed to say that while my life was filled with taxes and financial statements, I had to put aside homemade meals and new recipes. My poor husband survived solely on Taco Bell, Subway, canned food and egg burritos. This was one of the first homemade meals I made after I had my evenings back again. Neal's first comment when we sat down to the table was "Wow, I've really missed this...." And the best part of it all is that it literally took me 25 minutes to throw this together. A compliment for a quick and easy meal? Yes, please! This recipe consists of a chicken casserole dish with mushrooms, pasta, and a creamy lemon sauce flavored with plenty of parmesan cheese. It is a quick and healthy meal to throw together and can also be frozen for one of those busy nights where cooking does not sound very appealing. I am a huge pasta fan and I'll have to say that this recipe ranks right up there with some of my favorite pastas.



Ingredients:


  • 8 oz. pasta, cooked and drained

  • 2 chicken breasts, diced into small pieces

  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • 1 cup diced mushrooms (fresh or from a can)

  • 1/8 cup butter

  • 1/8 cup flour

  • 1/2 cup chicken broth

  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated

  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice

  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese

  • 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs

Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. While the pasta is cooking, saute chicken with salt and pepper over medium heat until nearly cooked through. Add in the diced mushrooms and the butter and saute until the mushrooms are soft and begin to release their juices. Turn the heat down to medium-low and add in the flour until a roux (or thick paste) forms. Slowly add in the chicken broth and milk and stir over medium-high heat until it begins to boil and thicken. Return heat back down to medium-low and add in the cheddar cheese, lemon juice and parmesan cheese until cheese is melted and flavors meld together. Add more lemon juice and parmesan cheese to taste. Mix in the drained pasta and stir until the pasta is coated with the sauce. Pour pasta mixture into an 8x8 pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown in color.

No comments:

Post a Comment