Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brazilian Lemonade

Wow, wow, wow. That is all I can say about this recipe. Oh.. and I made about 2 gallons of it in less than a week because I couldn't get enough of it. It is so simple and only requires 4 ingredients, one of which is water. Think of a sweet and tangy lemonade, but replace the lemons with limes. Then add in sweetened condensed milk and a bit of crushed ice to make a cold, sweet and extremely refreshing drink. I have always seen Brazilian lemonade on the menu at restaurants and heard about it from a few other people and I finally got around to making it this week. My husband and I had it as our drink for our Cinco de Mayo meal and I made it again for my in-laws for our Mother's Day dinner. All 6 people who drank it literally could not get enough. It is so easy and takes all of 5 minutes to throw together. You must try this recipe as soon as humanly possible. (Picture and recipe courtesy of Our Best Bites.)

Ingredients:


  • 6 cups cold water

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 2 limes

  • 6-8 Tbsp. sweetened condensed milk

Mix the cold water and sugar together until well blended and sugar is dissolved. Keep in fridge until ready to use. Wash off the limes with some warm water and dish soap since you'll be using the rind as well as the actual juice. Cut each lime into 8 wedges and set aside. Pour half of the sugar water into a blender with half of the lime wedges and pulse until the the lime juice and the sugar water are combined (Limes will look very sad and mangled). Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a pitcher and discard the limes. Repeat with the remaining sugar water and limes and pour into the pitcher. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk, adding more or less to taste. Serve immediately over ice.


Note: I think this would also be delicious mixed with ice in the blender to make a Brazilian Slushy!

No comments:

Post a Comment