Thursday, March 31, 2011

Quick and Easy Breadsticks

This past Sunday afternoon my husband was in meetings for my Church for several hours. I was home by myself, trying to figure out what to make for dinner, when the the craving for Olive Garden breadsticks came into my mind yet again. I did a little searching around until I found a recipe I could whip up before my husband got home and that looked promising - this is what I found. Soft, light and full of flavor, these little babies did not disappoint. I was amazed at how easy and fast they were to put together, and they tasted like they came straight from some fancy schmancy Italian restaurant in a high-rise downtown. They are also extremely versatile because you can use whatever seasonings and spices you have on-hand to give them their irresistable flavor. (Picture courtesy of McCormick) (Recipe adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe) Makes 20-25 breadsticks

Ingredients:



  • 1 1/2 cups warm water

  • 1 Tbsp. instant yeast*

  • 2 Tbsp. sugar

  • 3 1/2 cups flour (I usually use a little less than is called for in yeast recipes)

  • 1/2 tsp. salt

  • 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
Mix all ingredients (except melted butter) in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread melted butter onto an 11x17 baking sheet. Roll the breadsticks out to about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, herbs (I used oregano and basil crushed finely, but rosemary and thyme would also taste great) and parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.

*If using active dry yeast, stir into warm water with sugar and let sit for about 10 minutes until it starts to foam and rise. Then mix it in with the rest of the ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment