Friday, January 13, 2012

Oreo Brownie Trifle

I used to hate Oreos. I know, I know... Please don't hate me, but I did. My grandma used to keep them in a snowman cookie jar in her kitchen and they were the first things my brothers would go for whenever we visited her. But not me. I would always take a Dum Dum sucker or some crackers before I would go for an Oreo. Luckily, somewhere along my path of life, things changed. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but all of the sudden I loved Oreos. I could literally eat an entire package in one sitting if I really wanted to! To this day I still can't quite understand why I hated them so much, but I do know that I missed out on a lot of creamy, chocolaty goodness in my younger years. Thank goodness my tastes have changed! I made this trifle in honor of one of my good friends for her baby shower. I knew how much she loved oreos and anything chocolate, so I decided to combine the two flavors and make a rich, gooey dessert. I had to laugh every time someone asked me for the recipe at the shower because it is so simple. Unbelievably simple. As in 4 ingredients simple. I've always loved trifles and this one is not an exception. Oh, and did you know that there was an Oreo pudding mix you could buy? Just keep the calories coming baby! (So much for my "Healthy Year" resolution.. But I can cheat once or twice, right...?) (Picture courtesy of Love from the Oven)

Ingredients:


  • 1 box of brownie mix

  • 1 box Oreo pudding mix

  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

  • 2-3 Tbsp. sugar

  • 1 package of Oreos

Bake brownie mix in a 9x13 pan according to the box instructions, let cool completely. In the meantime, make up the Oreo pudding according to the box instructions and refrigerate. With an electric mixer (or in a stand mixer), whip the whipping cream and sugar together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form. Put half of the Oreos into a Ziploc bag and seal it tightly. Crush into small chunks using a hammer, rolling pin, tin can, etc. - use your imagination! Once the brownies are cooled, cut them into small squares and crumble half of them in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Scoop half of the Oreo pudding mix over the brownies and smooth over so all of the brownies are covered. Scoop half of the whipped cream over the oreo mix and smooth to the edges of the bowl. Sprinkle half of the crushed Oreos all over the whipped cream. Repeat the process again, layering with the remaining brownies, pudding, whipped cream and crushed Oreos. Decorate with whole Oreo cookies along top of the trifle. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment