Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Italian Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

As of yesterday, my husband and I decided to go on a very healthy diet and start working out more often. I guess you could say we just started our New Year's resolution a week early. One of my goals for this year is to plan and cook healthy dinners and this recipe falls right into that category. Have you ever eaten a spaghetti squash? Or better yet, have you ever cooked one and then witnessed the miracle when it turns from a regular summer squash look to stringy spaghetti?! I think I spent a good 10 minutes in awe that I could lightly touch the squash with my fork and it would somehow transform into a form of noodles! I then proceeded to tell my sweet husband every detail of the process.. Poor thing. Always has to listen to my food stories. :) I was extremely surprised at how good this meal tasted. Neal commented that if he didn't know it was squash, he would have thought it was regular pasta noodles! It is an extremely easy meal and took me about 20 minutes to put it all together. Dinner made and on the table in under 30 minutes is a HUGE bonus in my book! I used basic ingredients for the squash: ground chicken, mushrooms, spinach, spaghetti sauce and cheese. Just keep it simple. And don't worry, when everything is put together, it makes a lot of food. Serve with a side salad and some garlic bread and you've got yourself a pretty darn good meal. Let me know if you've ever had any fun experiences with spaghetti squash!! (Picture courtesy of My Kitchen Addiction)

Ingredients:


  • 1 medium spaghetti squash

  • 1 pound ground chicken (or beef)

  • 2 Tbsp. butter

  • 1 cup diced mushrooms

  • 1/2 cup frozen spinach

  • 2 cups spaghetti sauce

  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the spaghetti squash in half (I found it was easiest to stick the point of my knife in first, and then push down the rest of the knife. Continue all the way around until cut in half). Scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp. Place squash halves cut-side down on a plate and microwave for 10-12 minutes, or until soft. Using a fork, scrape out the inside of the squash, forming spaghetti-like strands. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground chicken until cooked through. Drain the grease and set aside in a small bowl. In the same pan, melt the butter and saute the mushrooms and spinach until softened. Add back in the ground chicken and the shredded squash. Pour the spaghetti sauce over everything and stir to combine. Spoon the squash mixture back into the squash halves and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Place squash halves on a baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and everything is heated through. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment