Monday, February 7, 2011

Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken

This recipe is pretty similar to my Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe, except it contains a few different ingredients and it's done in my favorite kitchen appliance: the crock pot. It literally took me less than 10 minutes to throw this dish together. I diced up the vegetables and chicken, poured everything into the crock pot, turned it on high and walked away. 4 hours later I came back, turned it to warm, made up some rice and served it up. Honestly people, it can't get any easier than that! This meal is another one of those one-pot-wonder dishes I love to cook. It can be served by itself or with a small side such as a green salad or fresh fruit. The three main reasons I love this recipe are: 1) It is extremely easy and fast. 2) It is loaded with flavor and it tastes heavenly. And 3) It's a very healthy meal that allows me to get all of my vegetables in one simple dish. (Picture and recipe courtesy of Kraft Recipes.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning
  • 1 green or red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 1/2 cups medium salsa (medium gives it a lot more flavor than mild)
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Toss chicken with taco seasoning in slow cooker. Add in everything but the cheese and stir to combine. Cook on low 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve topped with shredded cheese, cilantro and sour cream. Tastes great by itself, but my favorite way is to serve it over hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment