Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pumpkin Apple Spice Muffins



I got this recipe from Mel over at MyKitchen Cafe. These muffins were absolutely incredible. The pumpkin gave them a rich flavor and combined with the apples and spice they were the perfect fall treat. I loved them so much I made 2 batches in a week! I think my husband and I seriously ate the first batch in 2 days- that's a lot of muffin! The second time I tried to make them into a dessert with cream cheese frosting. Both versions were amazing and I honestly can't decide which one I like better. All I can say is these will definitely be appearing in my kitchen in the very near future! (Picture courtesy of My Kitchen Cafe)

Ingredients:
  • 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice**
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted (1 cube)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 firm apple, peeled and finely chopped

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; make a hole in the center. In another bowl, combine pumpkin, butter and eggs and stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened. Fold in the chopped apple and spoon into greased muffin pans, filling 2/3 full. Combine 3 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice; sprinkle evenly over muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and let cool on wire racks.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

  • 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cube of butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 bag powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together with hand mixer until smooth. Add more powdered sugar as needed to thicken frosting.

**If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, use 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg and 1/8 tsp. cloves. Mix together and you have the equivalent of 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment