Sunday, July 29, 2012

Egg Stuffed Baked Potatoes

Sometimes I love trying out new things (obviously...) that are different and unique. I had heard of these egg stuffed potatoes on Our Best Bites' website a couple months ago and finally got around to trying it. I love baked potatoes and would probably eat them every day with my meal if I could.. Probably because I have more cheese and sour cream than potato.. I absolutely loved how these turned out and Neal thought they were great too. These are kind of like omelettes in a way, since they're so versatile and can be made with just about any ingredients you have in your fridge - the only two main ingredients you really need are potatoes and eggs! The only suggestion I would make would be to buy round, deep potatoes that look like bowls when cut in half so a cracked egg could sit inside without spilling over. These are such a fun idea.. I just wish I had thought of it! (Recipe and picture adapted from Our Best Bites).

Ingredients:
  • Baked Potatoes, slightly cooled
  • Ham or Bacon
  • Salt and pepper
  • Shredded cheese (cheddar, pepperjack, or either of your choice)
  • Eggs
  • Additional fillings of your choice: onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Slice a layer off the top of each potato (or, if your potatoes are large and deep, slice potatoes in half lengh-wise). Use a spoon to gently scoop out the insides, leaving a thin layer of potato against the skin and avoiding puncturing the bottom. Reserve scooped potato for another use. Brush inside of each potato with melted butter and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese into each potato and add fillings. Fill each potato about 3/4 full. Crack one egg into each potato. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pper and top with additional cheese and toppings, if desired.

Place potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes. Egg whites should be set and yolks soft. Don't overcook or else eggs will be hard and rubbery.
     

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this one! What an easy breakfast idea for us when you come to visit! Love, the mimsy

    ReplyDelete