Sunday, July 8, 2012

Blackberry-Peach Cobbler with Praline-Pecan Streusel


There are very few cookbooks, blogs and magazines that I can honestly say I have never been disappointed with a recipe. So when I say that I have never been disappointed with a recipe from Southern Living magazine, that's really saying something! This cobbler was yet another hit that I'll probably be making again and again every summer when all the fruit starts to ripen. There's an incredible farmer's market in my town that I try and go to every Saturday I can to restock my fridge with some of the season's best produce. I had picked up a pint of blackberries one Saturday and wanted to make a fun summer dessert with them. As soon as I noticed this cobbler recipe I knew I had to try it, and I was not disappointed.

I absolutely loved the combination of the peaches mixed with the blackberries. They added a hint of sweetness from the peaches mixed with the sweet-tartness of the blackberries. I also chopped up a fresh mango I had purchased at the grocery store and added it to the mix as well. The streusel was very easy and I loved the slightly chewy, slightly crunchy texture it added to the cobbler. We ate ours with a scoop of vanilla ice cream which melted over the hot cobbler and made for a perfect summer treat! (Recipe and picture courtesy of Southern Living)

Ingredients:

Streusel

  • 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Filling

  • 4 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (about 4 large)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups fresh blackberries
Prepare Streusel: Stir together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add flour and pecans, and stir until blended.  Let stand 20 minutes or until mixture is firm enough to crumble into small pieces.

Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together peaches and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and boil, stirring occasionally, 6-7 minutes or until juices have thickened. Remove from heat and stir in blackberries. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish. Crumble streusel over hot peach mixture. Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment