Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I stopped by Panera Café a few weeks ago for lunch. It was a cold, rainy day and I simply couldn’t pass up a bowl of broccoli cheese soup with some warm, crusty french bread. I was smitten! I had to figure out how to make this soup for myself. After browsing through several different versions, I finally settled on this one for its’ simplicity and flavors and it definitely did not disappoint. Warm, thick and cheesy with chopped broccoli, this soup was heaven on a spoon after a long day at work. I made a few adjustments to the original recipe to better suit my tastes and to add in more flavor and it turned out great. (Recipe courtesy of Mels Kitchen Café)

Ingredients:


  • 1 ¾ cups chicken broth

  • 1 small onion, diced

  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

  • ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter

  • ½ tsp. pepper

  • ½ tsp. salt

  • 2 cups milk

  • 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg

  • 1 tsp. garlic powder

  • 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp

  • ½ cup shredded swiss cheese

  • 2 cups chopped, cooked broccoli


Simmer chicken broth and chopped onion for 15-20 minutes in a covered small saucepan, until onions are soft. While the onions are softening, heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook together, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then slowly whisk in warmed milk. Stir and heat together on medium heat until soup starts to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Add warmed chicken broth and continue to stir until well blended. Add cheeses and stir until completely melted. Stir in cooked broccoli. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately in bowls or bread bowls.

Note: To speed up the process, I put frozen broccoli in a glass bowl covered with plastic wrap and microwave it for about 5 minutes until tender.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm sure glad I checked your blog this morning since Rem & I both are sick. This recipe is just what I need today! Thanks Mer!

    ReplyDelete