Friday, September 30, 2011

Sweet Potato Enchiladas

So I have a confession: I'm addicted to Sweet Potatoes. I'm not joking. If I go to a restaurant with sweet potatoes on the menu, you can almost guarantee I'm going to order them. The bowl of mashed sweet potatoes on the table at our Thanksgiving Feast... Yeah, my favorite part of the meal. So you can only imagine my excitement and intrigue when I saw this recipe for Sweet Potato Enchiladas! I went to the store and bought the ingredients the very next day and told my husband we were having enchiladas. Not sweet potato enchiladas, just enchiladas. I literally stared at his face when he took the first bite, not knowing what his reaction would be.. Success!! He liked them! In fact.. he loved them. They are a lot more dense than regular enchiladas and have a lot more substance to them. The sweet potatoes add a hint of sweetness that is perfectly paired with the savory enchilada sauce. I loved the addition of black beans and chicken and thought the combination of flavors were perfect. These were also much healthier than the regular cream of chicken soup and sour cream mixture and even gave us some extra Vitamin A and C. I'm telling you guys, you just can't beat it! I have no doubt that these enchiladas will be making a lot of appearances on our dinner table in the future. (Recipe and picture adapted from Mindika Moments)


Ingredients:


  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes

  • 1 (8 oz. ) package cream cheese, softened

  • 4 green onions, chopped

  • 1 can diced green chilies

  • 2 t. chili powder

  • 2 t. cumin

  • 1 t. oregano

  • 1 t. pepper

  • 1 t. salt

  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

  • 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (optional)

  • 1 can enchilada sauce (red or green)

  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

  • Tortillas

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan. Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium heat. Boil the sweet potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, mash together the sweet potatoes and cream cheese until smooth. Add in all the other ingredients except for the enchilada sauce, cheese and tortillas. Place a generous scoop of the filling in the center of each tortilla and roll up, placing them seam-side down in the baking dish. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve with fresh cilantro, salsa, hot sauce and sour cream on top.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds super good! Then again i am obsessed with sweet potatoes also :)

    ReplyDelete