Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peach Bread Pudding

Anybody agree with me that sometimes bread pudding can be too mushy or soggy to eat? I completely 100% agreed with this until I made this recipe. Don't ask me why I decided to make bread pudding when I normally don't like it very much, but I couldn't resist. I had several over-ripened peaches sitting on my counter and a bag of old bread that was pleading to be used before it was thrown away. I cannot even begin to describe how delicious this recipe was! By far one of the best desserts I think I have ever had - I'm not joking here. Warm, sweet and soft, but NOT soggy, with bits of sweet/tart peaches and a creamy warm vanilla sauce that I ate straight with a spoon. And I am not ashamed. It was surprisingly very easy to make and didn't require many steps or hardly any work.
I added one unusual ingredient to the vanilla sauce that completely changed the recipe - for the better: Creamer. Yes, coffee creamer. I don't drink coffee, but I always have creamer on hand for oatmeal and for my hot cocoa in the winter. International Delight has a new flavor our called: "vanilla caramel cream" that is perfect for that warm, rich caramel flavor that we all crave. Next time you make a dessert that calls for heavy cream or milk, substitute in a little creamer and you'll be shocked at the delicious results! (Recipe and picture adapted from Tasty Kitchen.)

Ingredients:


  • 3 whole eggs

  • 3 Tbsp. butter

  • 2 Tbsp. vanilla

  • 2 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk

  • 2 cups sugar

  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

  • 2 cups fresh peaches, pitted and diced

  • 1 pound old stale bread, cut into 1" cubes

  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Vanilla Cream Sauce:



  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1 tsp. vanilla

  • 1 whole egg

  • 3 Tbsp. creamer (to taste)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, beat 3 eggs, add 3 Tbsp. melted butter, 2 Tbsp. vanilla, and 2 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk. Add 2 cups sugar slowly, stirring until it's dissolved. Add cinnamon, peaches and bread cubes, mixing well. Allow the bread to soak for 30 minutes.


Spray a 9x13 cooking pan with cooking spray and pour in the bread mixture. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. Bake uncovered 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


For the vanilla sauce: In a small saucepan, cream 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup sugar. Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 egg. Add in the creamer. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes Serve warm over individual servings of pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment