- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into small 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can red beans (can also use black or pinto)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (optional)
- Sour cream, cheese, green onions and cilantro for garnish
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium-large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder and salt. Place chicken in the pot, stirring occasionally until it is browned and cooked through (about 2-3 minutes). Remove the chicken to a plate. Add the second tablespoon of oil to the pot and saute the onion, garlic and rice. Cook on medium-low, stirring for several minutes until the rice begins to brown. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. chili powder and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cover, cooking for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken, beans and tomatoes to the pot and stir everything to combine. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions and cilantro on top.