- 1/2 lb. rotini or bowtie pasta
- 1 14-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium tomato, diced into small pieces
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- zest from 2 limes
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-5 Tbsp. lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
Boil pasta in salted water until cooked. While it's cooking prepare the dressing: Zest your limes and place zest in large salad bowl. Place the lime juice, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and sugar into a blender. Process until smooth. Slowly add in canola oil while the blender is running on low, until fully incorporated. Add the mayonnaise and cilantro and mix until almost smooth, but with some chunky pieces of cilantro left.
When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse it with cold water to cool it off. Place the pasta in a large salad bowl with the lime zest. Add black beans, tomato, pepper, onion and chicken and mix together. Slowly pour dressing over salad and mix until all pieces are coated. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. Stir in cheese and store in the refrigerator until cold, about one hour.
Makes about 4-6 dinner sized servings or 10-12 side servings.