Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cream Cheese Enchiladas

I know I just posted my favorite enchilada recipe a few weeks ago, but I was having a craving for enchiladas last night and wanted to try something new. I found this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe and immediately knew I had to give it a try. Although not the healthiest of meals, it is absolutely delicious. The biggest difference between my go-to enchilada recipe is the filling. This one had a cheesy cream cheese base and an addition of black beans. It was a cinch to throw together in a bowl and stuff into the tortillas. The sauce was also incredible! I definitely think I'll be using this sauce from now on, no matter what enchilada recipe I use. It was so rich and creamy and it added a huge pop of flavor to the simple filling. Top it all off with fresh cilantro and Mmm baby! You can't go wrong! (Picture and recipe courtesy of My Kitchen Cafe)


Ingredients:

Filling:

  • 2-3 cups cooked chicken, diced
  • 2 cans diced green chilies
  • 1 8-oz container cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (you can really use any type of bean here)

Sauce:

  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/3 c. chicken broth
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 can (7 oz.) green enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 c. sour cream

5-8 flour tortillas

Toppings: grated cheese, cilantro, salsa, hot sauce, etc.

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients to make up the filling. Fill each tortilla with several spoonfuls of the filling and roll up. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and place tortillas seam-side down inside.

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onions and butter over medium heat until onions are soft and light golden brown. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir well until combined. Slowly, whisk in the chicken broth and milk. As you whisk and the mixture cooks, it will become less lumpy and will thicken - about 3-4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, enchilada sauce, and sour cream until smooth. Pour over the top of the enchiladas. Top with cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment